Free Choice

It’s You Mother

Image result for images of mother and daughter muslim

February 20, 2000. The day your life changed into a colossal twist, was the day you changed my day, my entire life. The cleanliness of the bed you laid on matched the purity of your heart. It was late at night, at 4. You asked one of the nurses, “Where is my child?”, you asked, innocently and perhaps, bewildered. The nurses stood there, their eyes revealing something was wrong. “Sorry ma’am, we will bring her later”, one of them replied, with great fear in her eyes, alarming my mother. “What do you mean later?”, my mother asked. “Ma’am, she is in another room and we will bring her in a few minutes, do not worry”, the nurse replied back. My mother laid there and when I came to be held in the hands of yours, mother, you stared at me for a long time. 

From the day I was born,

You were worried by the fact that would I be able to accomplish anything in my life. You could have registered me to an orphanage or perhaps, you could have thrown me into the pool of disgust and hatred. But no, you raised with love and care that I do not have words to describe your affection and intimacy wrapped around me. You raised your head above me, hovering over me to protect me from the rain that would cause me flu and the snow that would freeze my feeble bones. You raised me with more care than you raised my siblings. You took the pain and all the strength to feed me, nurture, and make me the person I am today.

From the day I was born,

You would get tired and weary at the end of the day after handling massive responsibilities of me. When I would get ill, you would rush me to the hospital. When I was in despair, your hands, the medicine for my sorrow, would heal me and your uplifting words would motivate me to leave the past and move on. When I would make you crazy like a mad woman, you would still find the best in me.

From the day I was born,

When I began earning excellent grades and my talents began to emerge, you would encourage me to keep going and never give up. However, when I would receive a horrible grade, you would guide me even more. When I would get upset at you, you became soft as an angel and would be silenced, not saying a single word. This would make me guilty and I would come to take away your sorrows, knowing that the fault lied in my hands. When you would ask me, “Sweetie, how has my daughter become so mature and confident?”. “It’s you, mother”, I smile.

————————————————————

Image Citation: http://aboutislam.net/counseling/ask-about-parenting/child-development/my-daughter-is-scared-of-new-years-eve-fireworks/

7 comments

1. Dear Ayesha,

This is such a wonderful piece that you have created. I love how you used repetition to establish importance to certain lines. The way you described how your mother has raised you to become a strong amazing women is absolutely wonderful. This writing has definitely given us insight into your life, and perhaps even made it so we can understand you better. How you explained that your mother could have chosen to raise you in such a different way was very moving. The only thing that you could maybe do differently is make this a bit longer. It is just such a fabulous piece that I wanted to read more of it! Keep up the amazing work!

Sincerely Caprice

1. Dear Caprice,

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted due to the fact that you enjoyed reading my piece. When I was writing this piece, I felt as if it may have fallen short but didn’t take it seriously. Thank you for pointing out this mistake of mine. I am glad you were engaged and desired to read more of my piece. Next time, I will totally take this mistake into consideration for improvement. Once again, thanks for the marvelous response to my piece.

Sincerely,
      Ayesha

2. Dearest Ayesha,

I have been looking forward to reading your work ever since you presented your quote to the class. Of course, I was naturally impressed.

First, I would like to commend you for the way you chose to open this piece–what made it so engaging was the suspense; there was a clear concern shared among the nurses, but this concern wasn’t initially verbalized. And so, like Mother, I was desperate to know more, and, because of this, I was prompted to read further.

And I absolutely LOVED your utilization of parallelism–how you started each new paragraph with “From the day I was born…” I also appreciated how you chose to isolate the phrase itself by aligning it with the right side of the page. This isolation further emphasized the phrase’s significance, which makes it the clever stylistic choice that it is.

In terms of improvements, the only thing I would say is that the sentence following the last, “From the day I was born” doesn’t transition into the third paragraph as well as it had with the other two paragraphs. But this is a relatively quick fix you could make by reversing the order of the thoughts in your sentence. For example, you could start the third paragraph with “you would encourage me to keep going and never give up.” This, I think, would make the transition cleaner and your message clearer.

But, as I had said, this is an incredibly written piece. Thank you for being brave enough to share this story with the class. You are a true writer, Ayesha because, like you, a true writer is not afraid to provide her audience with something that is honest and raw. And this is precisely what you have offered us–honesty and rawness. Bravo!

Lots of love,
    Jade

1. Dear Jade,

A big thank you for reading my piece is all I can say in return. Truly, I admire your detailed comment and will take your critiques as a way to improve my writing. As everyone know, you are an excellent writer, without any doubts. The fact that you, as a wonderful writer, took the step to give feedback on my piece was really a honor of you. I am glad you enjoyed my “About Me” presentation. It looks like my piece required more length since Caprice has also pointed that out too. Thanks for pointing out as I will work to make my writing longer with rich details evolving around it.

You are correct. Deliberately, I used the utilization of parallelism to make the phrase seem more significant and I am pleased that you have seen that. For the parallelism not being able to transition well with the third paragraph is something I definitely did not take notice of it, or at least, I didn’t know about it. So, thank you so much for the mistakes you have pointed out without any hesitation. I love when people find mistakes in my writing because it will essentially improve my writing. I am eager to fix these mistakes in the future and learn to make my writings much more smoother, longer, and clearer. Once again, thanks for sharing your response to my piece and I look forward to hearing more from you, regarding my blogs.

Sincerely,
      Ayesha

3. ‘If you die
    before you die,
    when you die,
    you will never die’
    -Jesus
    ● NOPEcantELOPE.blogspot.com ●
    Cya soon, miss gorgeous…